Monday, January 27, 2014

English module 1

1.03 Pirate or Puritan
Part 1
1. 1.In complete sentence format, list three specific details you learned about William Bradford from this reading.
     William Bradford was a witness to all of these occurrences. He believed that justice is done in ways alike to the crimes committed. William is with the government, which was why he wrote that "some discontented persons under the government of the Massachusetts sought to trouble their peace..."; if he were with them, he would take their side, but in this case, he is retelling the story accusingly.
2.In two sentences, explain why you think Bradford is significant in American history.
     I think that Bradford is significant in American History because he was part of the government in the historical Massachusetts and so he structuralized the early colony to step it up. Second to that, he might've punished and attempted to restrain the pirates to reshape their character, which therefore motivates the people of the colony to sustain their good manners.
3.What personal tragedy occurred while the Mayflower was anchored off Provincetown Harbor? (Remember, use complete sentences please)
    Captain Thomas Cromwell silenced his quarreler with a rapier hilt, which resulted in justice by means of Cromwell's tragedy of similarity.
Part 2
Option One: 
Write a journal entry from the perspective of a lusty pirate. What say you to these stuffy Puritans? How is their Puritan lifestyle different from your pirate lifestyle? No pirate journal would be complete without some proper "pirate talk." Visit the Pirate Glossary to discover some common pirate terms. Select at least five of these terms to include in your entry. If you choose the pirate perspective, you must include five terms a pirate would have used in day-to-day conversation.
     I stood in front of the bow, and my eyes searched far. I sought for sight of isles tirelessly, yet at first there was none to be found. The scent of the ocean drifted to my perception; I turned away, when, at the moment, a gust of Boreas teased my epidermis. Alas, I thought, our ship has probably sailed vertically! It was only a minute afterwards when I heard the fellow crewman beside me shout out joyously, "The land! I see the land!" and shortly afterwards, we set to halt by the shores. The trip to shore was genuinely time-consuming because there were barnacles under the ship and none of us were willing to clean it. At least this is better than having out ship becalmed amidst the waves. The shores appeared to be sandy; I was thankful that it wasn't rocky, lest there would be a cast-away. As we got off and onto the island, or maybe the New World, I saw figures ahead, walking towards my crew and I. They hesitates, scrutinizing us, then frowned. Some of them seemed frightened. I was thinking, maybe it's the way we're dressed. Anyway, they invited us to lunch, and turkey and corn were served. I wolfed down some bread, and these "Puritans," as they call themselves, stared at me, or at least gave me disapproving looks. They were thanking God, and it's been a while since I prayed. Being lost for months out at sea has made me less religious and more focused on survival. One day, during our stay there, a Puritan fellow told me, "Go back to where you came from." I replied, "Would you?"
Pirate words...
Bow- the front of the ship or boat.
Boreas- a name for the north wind.
Becalmed- not able to sail because there is no wind.
Barnacle- a type of shell fish that sticks to the bottom of the ship's hull. If too many get attached, they'll slow the ship down so they need to be scraped off regularly.
Cast-away: shipwrecked.

1.04 Understanding Editorial Writing
English 3 is an exciting, challenging class. It truly makes you think and reshapes the way your write. This is why I chose to take English 3. Aside from the fact that I enjoy enduring complexity in English, I also chose English 3 because of the belief that it will prepare me for AP British Literature, thereby revealing that venturing towards the unknown could end with the bliss of knowledge.
   This year will be a success upon the factors of my determination and motivation that drives me toward completion. English 3 is an excellent opportunity to satisfy the online-course requirement, which takes students a successful step close to graduation. Although I've already satisfied my online-course requirement, my past experiences with having English 1 brings me back to Florida Virtual School. Going to class anytime and learning off-campus in a quiet environment is a success to getting familiar with independent study. Completing half of this class at least by summer's end will keep me from having to take English III in school (because if I take English III in school, it would be like repeating the first semester), so this is my greatest resolution for Fall 2013.
    I'm the kind of person who researches the content of the class, any class, for future reference. To exemplify, before I had AP European History, I researched about the lives of historical figures, read historical fiction, and watched historical movies. But then I took the class, and eventually discovered that I had to learn so much and began losing some interest. If I had free time, and wanted to do something, it makes my interest. Then when I know that my hobby becomes a requirement and I have to learn, I should be rejoicing and express myself further; instead, I lose interest. I guess that I felt that my freedom was lost somehow.
4. Dreams reveal some of their secrets, but much remains undiscovered by David Robson, published on March 11, 2013.
    This article caught my attention by informing about neuroscience and dreams. I love this kind of mystery.

1.05 Jonathan Edwards
1. The mood of the passage is moving, deep, angry... As Edwards speaks about God's wrath, he seems angry. I think this because his speech is so strong and convincing.
2. Metaphor: "It is a great furnace of wrath, a wide and bottomless pit."
Simile: "It would come like a whirlwind, and you would be like the chaff of the summer threshing floor." God's punishment is being compared to a whirlwind.
Allusion: "The sovereign pleasure of God, for the present..." This allusion is sourced from the Bible because according to the Bible, God is king of heaven and Earth, and king of all kings, so it is relatable to say 'sovereign.'
3. fearful and wrath
4. A sinner hanging on a thin thread from the world of the living to beneath and fire surrounds the pitiful fellow. The thread is about to snap from the heat smoking it. This description creates very vivid images to the listener that s/he will immerse in the tone and be fearful.
5. Edwards refers this opportunity to listening to this sermon because it is better to be safe and morally right than then be dying, and getting closer to hell. The opportunity is within the present and while one lives, there is mercy and an opportunity for saving oneself. His sermon is persuasive since it makes people think of all the fearsome similes he describe and renew their reverence in their religion.

1.07 Scarlet Letter and Anne Bradstreet
Part 1
1. Anne Bradstreet felt mournful, a sort of sad sympathy. I can tell this from her poem because Anne tells of her children's departure.
2. In Anne's biography, it stated that her husband, Simon Bradstreet, travels often because of this political duties. In the poem, she wrote, "Chief of the Brood then took his flight to regions far and left me quite. My mournful chirps I after send, till he return, or I do end." She loves her husband dearly, so this feeling of missing someone was hard and she reflected this in her poetry. Also, in her biography, Anne Bradstreet's battled illness; first being victim to smallpox, then she caught paralysis, and at last afflicted with tuberculosis. With her illnesses, Anne hasn't given up life, but foreshadows her death in the poem, saying, "Thus gone, amongst you I may live, And dead, yet speak and counsel give. Farewell, my birds, farewell, adieu, I happy am, if well with you."
3.
4. a. Anne Bradstreet had eight children.
   b. four girls
   c. four boys
   d. Her first son traveled far to unknown regions.
   e. Anne's last three children are with her still.
5. Anne comforted her children with the reminder that she's help them grow up strong. She is giving them a motherly comfort.
Part 2
1. Was Hester Prynne a heroine? Write a persuasive paragraph defending or condemning her actions.
   Hester Prynne was a heroine. Despite all the debates about the morals and purity her society held, Hester, in her after actions, was as good a heroine as any was. She held her tongue, depicting bravery, however harsh her critics became. She was caring and selfless for the Reverend, because if she confessed too early, his career would be ruined. Everyone thought the Reverend was supposed to be holy. Like the common standards of a heroine, she endured hardships and accepted her fate. She tried all that she could to accompany her inquisitive daughter, whose childhood has been scarred with bullying and shame. Hester sought enlightenment, even if it was a sinful enlightenment. She thought and did what most felt was wrong; like most heroines, she defied the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment